To get the best results:
1. Whenever possible, it's better to defrost your beef in the refrigerator overnight. If you need to defrost on the run, you can always submerge the frozen beef under cold, running water.
2. Bring the cut of beef to room temperature for about 30 minutes before cooking.
3. Pat the cut dry (e.g., with a paper towel) before cooking with dry heat to get better caramelization.
4. Right before cooking, season the beef liberally with salt and pepper. If you do it too soon in advance the salt will draw out the moisture from the beef.
5. Most importantly, have fun!
Temperature guide for beef
Rare: 130 degrees Fahrenheit
Medium rare: 135 degrees Fahrenheit
Medium: 145 degrees Fahrenheit
Medium well: 155 degrees Fahrenheit
Well done: 165 degrees Fahrenheit